The travel restrictions of the recent years have been mostly lifted. The updated information concerning current travel restrictions due to the pandemic or the international security situation can be found on the dedicated pages of the Estonian Government crisis management, as well as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Tourism related information can be found on the Visit Estonia pages.
There are several ways to get to Tartu:
- The closest major airport with many connections to other European cities is in Tallinn, from where Tartu can be directly accessed by train or bus in around 2,5 hours:
- Bus departs from the stop infront of the lower floor of the airport. The usual price is 8-12€ (15€ for the first class), but if you book your ticket early enough directly at the web-site of Lux Express you can buy it for promo price 3€. The bus station in Tartu is located directly in the city centre, next to the Dorpat Hotel.
- Train departs from the Ülemiste station located 15 min. walk from the airport and costs around 11€. The train station in Tartu is located close to the physics institute.
- For late arrivals and early departures, we recommend to use the airport shuttle service. The shuttle waits for the arrival of the last airplane to Tallinn and drops you off at your hotel in Tartu around 3 am. In oposite way, the shuttle comes to pick you up to your hotel in Tartu around 3:30 am and arrives early enough to catch the first plane from Tallinn. The service costs 20 EUR and must be booked in advance at the website of Tarta Line company.
- Tartu also has a small airport, from which FinnAir offers daily connections via Helsinki to many destinations.
- For visitors from Baltic countries and Russia, the direct bus connection to Tartu may be a viable option. Visitors from Nordic countries may consider a ferry to Tallinn and continue by bus or train to Tartu.
Tartu offers a wide range of accommodation that can be easily found through some popular portals as Booking or AirBnB. Some suggestions would be: