The travel restrictions of the recent years have been mostly lifted. The updated information concerning current travel restrictions due to the pandemic or the international security situation can be found on the dedicated pages of the Estonian Government crisis management, as well as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Tourism related information can be found on the Visit Estonia pages.
There are several ways to get to Tartu:
- The closest major airport with many connections to other European cities is in Tallinn, from where Tartu can be directly accessed by train or bus in around 2.5 hours:
- The bus from Tallinn makes a convenient stop at the west wing of the airport (directions clearly marked). The tickets can be bought online or at the ticket machine at the airport. The usual price is 10-12€ (15€ for the first class), but if you book your ticket early enough directly at the web-site of Lux Express you might be able to buy it for a promo price. The bus station in Tartu is located directly in the city centre, next to the Dorpat Hotel.
- The train from Tallinn also stops at the Ülemiste station located 15 min. walk from the airport and costs around 12€. The train station in Tartu is located close to the physics institute.
- Tartu also has a small airport, from where in summer FinnAir may offer daily connections via Helsinki to many destinations.
- In principle, Riga is also a possible option to consider when travelling to Tartu, since Riga airport has more connections, and from where two buses per day go directly to Tartu.
- Visitors from Nordic countries may consider a ferry to Tallinn and continue by bus or train to Tartu.
Tartu offers a wide range of accommodation that can be easily found through some popular portals as Booking or AirBnB. Some suggestions would be: